Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thursday Garage sale finds

This week I did my garage sale shopping on Thursday. Around here, Thursdays are usually the busiest days but usually I forget or have other things planned on Thursdays. Not so this week, I knew I had to shop today as we are leaving on a weekend camping trip tomorrow.


I got all this for $13.75. I can't believe my luck today, I got two things that I have been wanting for quite a while. A small birdcage and some wood cubbies. I think I got more freebies than items I paid for today. The free boxes were nice today. Maybe I really do need to make a point to shop on Thursdays when the free boxes are full!

I picked up these two beauties along with the metal looking shelf, metal pitcher and a wool sweater at a sale that didn't have any prices. It was a free will donation to a local charity. I don't know how much they would have been marked at other sales but I gave $3. I thought that was a great price for the wall sconces, especially since they are metal, not plastic like so many of them that I find at garage sales are. While I was there they told another shopper maybe 25 cents each item or whatever he wanted to give so I felt $3 was a fair donation. I don't think I will even paint these. I'll find a place for them somewhere.

These rolls of textured wallpaper were in the free pile! I'm not sure I'll use this yet but I'm sure I'll find someplace for it. They might end up as textured backgrounds for my cards.

Here is a close up of the birdcage I found today. I've been looking for a birdcage for a while. I picked this up at the second stop of the day, the first one I bought at. I got it and the two wood cubbies for $10 total. It was another sale that was not marked, when I walked up they said make an offer and no reasonable offers would be refused.

I don't usually like sales like that as I always feel like I'm probably offering way too much or way too little. I know what I'd like to pay but is that really a fair price?? I debated offering $5 for the two wood cubbies but thought that might not be enough...but when I saw the bird cage I knew I wanted it so the offer was $10 and they took it. Maybe I should have offered less..... I guess I'll never know.

Well, I did give them back a fake bird that was hanging in the cage when I picked it up. I told them I really didn't want it and if they wanted it to keep it and maybe get someone else to pay for it again! That seemed to make him feel better about the $10 and maybe it will help him sell the other bird cage they had. I was tempted to get the other one as it had a plastic bottom and I knew I really wanted a all metal one.

This wood box was another freebie. I picked this up with the intention of giving it to my sister to plant in but it may just find a home before I give it to her. :)

This pottery piece just called to me. I love the colors and it was only 50 cents! I couldn't pass it up at that price.

This queen comforter was free as it was marked that it had a hole in it.

Here are the holes I found with the sweater underneath to show the holes. I'm guessing there was cats or some animals that maybe started the holes. Regardless this will make the camping trip this weekend, holes or not. We will see afterwards if it stays as a camper comforter or maybe I'll end up cutting it up for pillows or something.

Here a look at one of the wood cubbies I got. I might use them for shoe cubbies by the front door but I'm not sure yet. I can't believe I snagged them both for $10 with a bird cage as well.


I see a lot of revamping in my future and I can't wait to share them all. I'm hoping to maybe stop at a few more garage sales tomorrow on the way to the campsite. I know I won't be able to buy much as there will not be much space but I hope there are some small items out there just for me!

Happy crafting -
June

Linking to:

http://southernhospitalityblog.com/thrifty-treasures-party/


Debbie Doos Garage Slaen party

12 comments:

  1. What great finds! I love that bird cage! What will you do with it?

    Hi from New Friend Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you did great!
    New to your blog and following you, come do the same and say hi :)
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from New Friend Friday ... love all your garage sale finds.

    Alicia
    www.kramercottageschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. FAB finds and the bird cage is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great finds! Love the birdcage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you really picked up a lot for a little! LOVE that bird cage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well what can be better than free? You will make use out of those things. I love the bird cage....cute possibilities with that too. Nice sconces....really all for the money you did fantastic. Thanks for joining in on the party....look forward to seeing you more in the future. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you sure made a haul! I ♥♥♥ the pottery vase...great color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that bird cage and the holey bed spread. You can always make great things out of things with holes!
    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Great finds. I love the bird cage and those wooden cubbies. I even like the holey blanket! I have to laugh though because we have 3 dogs that just love to chew on their blankets so I can completely relate! :)
    Have fun with your finds! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pottery piece. Those are my colors, blue and green. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments.