Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thrifty display

I decided I needed to revamp this display. Yes, I know it is sadly in need of a makeover. It had ended up being a catch all.





Let's see, there is a wire cow,




Oh, and just a few candles..... see a pattern here?

Yes, I love Yankee Candles. It goes back to the days I worked there. I don't think I have bought another brand of candle since then. Yes, they are a bit more expensive than other brands but well worth it if you ask me. Also right now they are having their semi-annual sale. I haven't went there to shop yet but I don't know how long I can stay away. I'm trying to keep purchases down since I'm not working.

Oh, and a few scrapbooks. Six to be exact. Just ignore the gift card and plate holder. I did pull out the batteries that were there to spare you some of the mess.



Remember these garage sale finds?

Especially this birdcage,

and this lovely vase.


I couldn't let them sit in wait too long. This is what I came up with for a display. At least for now. I'm not sure if it will stay like this or if I will paint the cage and mirror.



Almost everything on this display came from garage sales or thrift stores. The mirror I picked up a couple weeks ago for $2! It is heavy, the mirror is 1/4" thick. At first I thought I was going to paint the frame a creamy white but I have not yet and last night when I got it in my head to redo this display it was put in as it was.
I put three of the candles in the birdcage and dumped in some vintage wood stamps to fill in the spaces around the candles.


Then I put some of the stamps in the tipped over garage sale vase. At first I was going to stand it up, but I didn't have anything tall and branchy to make it look right.

I filled up a couple mason jars with more stamps and topped the jars with some wood and twine balls. I have a lot of these stamps, they were in one large jar but I like them better in the smaller jars that can be seen easier.



I found a few blocks to put in the metal cow. I pulled an old lantern without glass and a scale from the top of my kitchen cupboard display.



I was pretty sure the display was finished but then I realized it didn't have enough white, the birdcage looked out of place so I brought back the Life plaque that was on the display before.



I think that makes the display a bit more balanced. I'm still undecided on the large mirror. I don't love the gold finish but I don't know that I want it cream now.

What do you think? What should I do with the mirror? Paint or leave it as it is?
Now to redo the rest of the hutch, you can see some of the mess peaking out on the bottom of the pictures. It is a lot of items and not really attractively displayed. I guess I'll have to find some hidden storage for the items that are in there.

Happy crafting..... June


Linking to:
BWS tips button div>
giveaways



href="http://www.houseofhepworths.com">HookingupwithHoH>Decor MammaJoin us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!
Photobucketbr />

6 comments:

  1. This looks so nice. I especially like the vintage items you used in the display.

    In answer to the mirror question - how about painting the frame and distressing it to make it look vintage?

    Would love to see it once you decide what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely paint the mirror and distress it. Maybe black or red? Can't wait to see it when you get it done.

    Thanks for linking to Transform Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely display!

    I also just wanted to say thanks for your sweet comment about my shutter project! I LOVE how it turned out! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great vintage display! I especially love the old scale.

    The old mirror is yummy! Check to be sure its not a valuable antique before painting...we inherited one from great-grandparents that was worth a pretty penny!! (I love all things old and passed down, so even if it had been $2 I wouldn't have traded it for anything!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a couple of old scales I found recently that I couldn't figure out what to do with. You've inspired me! Oh, and Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments.