Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Suede jacket wreath

When I bought a suede jacket at a garage sale a few weeks ago that I showed you here, I knew I would use it somehow.   I was not sure how I was going to use it at the time but I had to buy it.   I don't remember for certain but I think I paid $2 or $3 for it.   How could I pass up this deal?? 

I took the first cut last night and ended up with this..... a suede wreath.  

  

Sorry the pictures don't seem to do it justice but I wanted to share it with you.  

I didn't take any pictures of the progress so I don't have that to share with you.  

I had a 14" square wreath that picked up at Michael's for $1.99 on clearance, a glue gun and scissors.   That is the base of this wreath.  I did cover the front and back of the wreath completely.   The front is a bit neater than the back but the whole thing is a patchwork style. 

I did singe the edges of the circles so they curled a bit.   I stacked them together with hot glue and attached to two corners of the wreath.   I knew I needed a bit of color for the flowers.  I first looked at buttons and then in my brads but nothing looked right so I colored the centers with a bit of pink Stickles.  I was not sure when I first put it on there that I would like it but after drying over night I really like it. 




Gotta love those circle flowers....
Here you can see some of the patchwork - I tried to get the corners as smooth as I could. 

My daughter did comment that the circles were not perfect.   They are perfect to me, perfectly, imperfect  that is....


So for about $5 I turned a wreath base into a warm, one of a kind wreath.
Maybe you have a jacket in your closet that you won't ever ware again... turn it into art for your wall or door.  

I know I have about 1/2 of the jacket left, more than enough suede for another project.  I'm thinking maybe covering some wide picture frames.

Please show me what you can do with an old suede or leather jacket. 

June

Linking to:
>Decor Mamma>>Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special>Photobucket>Photobucket Show and tell at Blue Cricket Designs>ShutterLoveTuesdays>Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden> >Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up    party!

15 comments:

  1. I would have loved to see where you put your creation in your home. I have never seen anything like this wreath. It is definitely a conversation starter! Is your home Southwestern? It looks like you worked hard on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see your wreath! I have an old mustard colored leather jacket that is 3/4 length and would love to make either a wreath or covered picture frame with it. I especially think the flowers would be very cute in this color. I'll be sure to post a picture for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I thought it was a picture frame at first, the square shape threw me off! lol I would almost want to put vinyl words on the wall behind it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea. I purchased a bright pink suede coat at Goodwill and have been planning to make some of those flowers with it, this is a great use for it! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I REALLY adore this project. It is going into my style file for sure!

    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is so innovative. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first when I saw this I was really in awe of it, now I absolutely love it! Great job!

    www.alltheabcsofmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How does one differentiate between a wreath and a frame? We have all seen frames in various shapes, why do we assume a wreath will be round? I came over to see if this would be something I can adapt to denim. Last night I was sorting out old jeans which naturally must become something else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love re-purpose projects... what a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! My husband will laugh his head off when I come home from thrifting with someone's old suede clothing but....

    ReplyDelete
  11. The look of those suede flowers is fabulous! Love them! I will feature this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If i didn't adore my yard sale suede jacket i would do this in 2 seconds

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is SO CREATIVE and the finished look is just gorgeous !! Thanks so much for sharing !

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments.