Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dollar store wreath


I've seen lots of book page wreaths and have been wanting to try one. I knew I wanted a wreath to hang outside on my patio and knew the book page ones would not hold up as I would like. Yesterday I had one of those moments and thought I could get a similar look with plastic bags. I know I had lots of them around and most of them are white. So I decided to give it a try.

I started with a plain wreath from the dollar store and a stack of plastic Target bags. I did use all Target bags as I figured they would all be the same size. I found out there was some differences in the bag sizes but were all pretty much the same.

I didn't take pictures of cutting up the bags but I cut off the bottom of the bag and the handles to make them a rectangle shape. I decided I wanted only a white wreath so I cut the bag into two parts, one with the bulls eye logo and the white part that I was going to use instead of book pages. You can see the stack of bulls eye logos and a stack of the cut up white part. I cut them to approximately 5 x 5, but some were more rectangle, about 3 x 6. I would try to get them a bit more even next time as if you look closely at my wreath you can see that some parts of the wreath are thicker than others. That is due to the size of the white pieces I used.

I decided I wanted to cover the base to make a bit more of an even base to hot glue the sheets to so I used the bulls eye logo part of the bags. I just sort of wrapped them around and hot glued them onto the wreath.

Here is the wreath covered with the logo part of the bags.

Then I just started gluing on the white sheets over the wreath. Here it is part complete. I think it took me just over an hour to completely cover the wreath. I did it in front of the TV, I suggest you do the same.

Completed wreath, finally done.

I hung the wreath outside on my patio on a wreath hanger I already had. I did spray a little bit of a shimmery gold spray paint on it to give it a bit more shine but I don't think anyone but me would notice that.


Project cost $1.00 plus some basic supplies I had on hand.
Time - 2-3 hours including time cutting up bags

Supplies used
Wreath $1.00
25 Target bags cut up
Low temp glue gun
glue sticks - I used two

Hope you enjoy this and try it yourself.

Happy Crafting - June

10 comments:

  1. I love that!! You did a great job, and it looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You can't even tell it's made of plastic bags! It looks like tissue paper. And way to be frugal! I love it! Saw you at Tatertots and Jello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and it looks like it cost you way more than $1.00. Great job!
    Saw you at Tatertotsandjello.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used fabric and recently used ribbons but I like how you repurposed your bags and how your wreath will withstand the weather!! cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who doesn't have bags of... bags around! I can't believe how delicate it looks- like tissue paper! Great for outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your wreath!! It really caught my eye on Tatertots and Jello. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so pretty! I just made one of these in April for Earth Day. {one of my favorite projects} So easy and inexensive! Very cute! Hope you have a great weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who'd have thought you could get something so cute from plastic bags! Definitely going to try this one. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea for a weather resistant wreath. And when it gets dirty, just toss it or cut the old stuff off and start again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So clever! And outdoor friendly!

    Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments.